You have a little something called white male privilege.
Yup, a fine shining example of ‘Murrica.
Posts tagged "male privilege"
Just reblogging some great answers to some questions around male privilege and sexuality. Just perfect responses from a pretty kick-ass Canadian womyn! Follow her!
Let me give you some things to Google.
- White privilege checklist
- Male privilege checklist
- Stereotype threat
- Bechdel test
- Rape and Abuse statistics by race and gender
- Wealth gap (yep, even for same job, same quality of work)
- Studies that distribute identical resumes except for race/gender, white men more likely to be offered job and higher starting salary.
- Rates that black people are sent to jail for crimes like smoking marijuana compared to white people, despite white people being more likely to smoke
- 96% of rapists are white, but 80% of jailed rapists are black.
- Black people are 22% of the poor but get 14% of government benefits. White people are 42% and get 69% of benefits. But black people are still “welfare queens”
- Media coverage of Trayvon Martin dehumanizing while the media coverage of the Sandy Hooks shooter went out of its way to be especially humanizing.
- Women perform 66% of the world’s work, but receive only 11% of the world’s income, and own only 1% of the world’s land.
- Women make up 66% of the world’s illiterate adults.
- Women head 83% of single-parent families. The number of families nurtured by women alone doubled from 1970 to 1995 (from 5.6 million to 12.2 million).
- Women account for 55% of all college students, but even when women have equal years of education it does not translate into economic opportunities or political power.
- There are six million more women than men in the world.
- Two-thirds of the world’s children who receive less than four years of education are girls. Girls represent nearly 60% of the children not in school.
- Parents in countries such as China and India sometimes use sex determination tests to find out if their fetus is a girl. Of 8,000 fetuses aborted at a Bombay clinic, 7,999 were female.
- Wars today affect civilians most, since they are civil wars, guerrilla actions and ethnic disputes over territory or government. 3 out of 4 fatalities of war are women and children.
- Rape is consciously used as a tool of genocide and weapon of war. Tens of thousands of women and girls have been subjected to rape and other sexual violence since the crisis erupted in Darfur in 2003. There is no evidence of anyone being convicted in Darfur for these atrocities.
- About 75% of the refugees and internally displaced in the world are women who have lost their families and their homes.
- Gender-based violence kills one in three women across the world and is the biggest cause of injury and death to women worldwide, causing more deaths and disability among women aged 15 to 44 than cancer, malaria, traffic accident, and war.
[last eleven from here] many of them intersect with racial oppression
(via peacepunx)Source shitstraightwhiteguyssay
"Male privilege is “I have a boyfriend” being the only thing that can actually stop someone from hitting on you because they respect another male-bodied person more than they respect your rejection/lack of interest."
The Sociological Cinema (via trimichaelceratops)
There was actually research that was done that found that women who used an “I have a boyfriend/husband” excuse to reject unwanted sexual attention and harassment by their bosses were more likely to be left alone than those who used any other excuse (including “I’m not interested”)
(via nothatsstupid)Source queerintersectional
I feel like sending this to obama
this is amazing.
if america legalizes generally i feel like they’ll just add addictive/poisonous shit like they do w tobacco so idk.
Also, I really don’t think John Lennon should be touted around as a role model/someone good in this context.
okay well actually none of these people should be here because it’s pretty misogynistic and it’s racist that all these are white guys because of course white guys aren’t really hurt by pot and my biggest issue with people who advocate for these kinds of things is that they pay no attention to the connection between the criminalization of marijuana and the prison system which is historically and currently a racist system and like this is advocating for legalization because pot is fun and doesn’t hurt anyone, not because of the actual problems that affect people when it comes to current laws. sorry but i don’t care about rich white guys feeling oppressed because they can’t smoke pot legally when nothing would happen to them if they were caught with it.
i don’t think i could add anything to that commentary. perf.
(via wretchedoftheearth)Source hellsleepsaround
"[TW: rape, partner consent issues] What people don’t understand is when we say “Teach men not to rape,” we’re not talking about telling them not to jump out of the bushes in a ski mask and grab the nearest female. We’re talking about the way we teach boys that masculinity is measured by power over others, and that they aren’t men unless they “get some.” We’re talking about teaching men (and women) that it’s not okay to laugh at jokes about rape and abuse. We’re talking about telling men that a lack of “No” doesn’t mean “Yes,” that if a woman is too drunk to consent they shouldn’t touch her, that dating someone - or even being married to someone - does not mean automatic consent. We’re talking about teaching boys to pay attention to the girl they’re with, and if she looks uncomfortable to stop and ask if she’s okay, because sometimes girls don’t know how to say stop in a situation like that. We’re talking about how women have the right to change their mind. Even if she’s been saying yes all night, if she says no, that’s it. It’s over. That’s what we mean when we say “Teach men not to rape."
So often, people have a very narrow definition of what rape is. They don’t realize a lack of no doesn’t mean yes. They don’t realize that we can revoke consent at any given time. They don’t understand that they’re not entitled to a person’s body, nor sex, even though they bought them dinner.
They seem to think that rape is only defined a certain way- a stranger, in bushes/a dark alley/parking lot coming out of nowhere and forcing themselves on defenseless woman who’s wearing a short skirt, walking alone in the dead of night.
(via midori-fairy)Source waitforhightide
Q: What happens when you’re a member of a high school football team and you rape a woman who is drunk and you videotape and photograph the entire damnable thing so that there’s really no question of what you did, like, none at all?
(Photo of Trent Mays [left] and Ma’lik Richmond, members of the Steubenville, OH High School football team and who are both charged with the rape of a classmate while she was intoxicated, by Keith Srakocic / AP via the New York Daily News)
This is sick.
(via midori-fairy)Source New York Daily News